Your diamond ring is probably the most sentimental item you own (and not to mention the most expensive item, too!). It’s easy to dull a diamond’s sparkle with everyday use. Don’t fret; bringing a diamond’s sparkle back to life is easy! Make your investment worthwhile with these simple at-home tips on cleaning your diamond ring.
The more you wear your diamond, the more often you will need to clean it. Washing dishes, applying lotions and even styling your hair can leave grime and other residues on your diamond ding, keeping it from shining bright. Although it is crucial to bring your diamond ring to a jeweler once a year for an ultrasonic cleaning, there are more convenient ways to keep your diamond dazzling.
You can revive your diamond’s radiance with two house-hold staples: Dish soap and warm water.
- Making the mixture: Add very warm water and dishwashing soap to a bowl.
- Soak the diamond ring for about 20 to 40 minutes, depending on how dirty your ring is.
- (Optional) Use a very soft-bristled toothbrush to remove additional residue such as makeup, hairspray or grease. Gently scrub around the stone, focusing on the setting and underneath the prongs, which is where most of the grime builds up.
- Swish the ring around for about 2-3 minutes before removing.
- CLOSE THE DRAIN. This happens way too often. Save yourself the grey hairs and a call to the plumber… Close the drain before removing your ring!
We know this process almost seems too simple, but avoiding harsh chemicals is key when preserving your diamond’s condition. Commercial gold and silver cleaners along with substances such as bleach, chlorine, and acetone can lead your ring to become discolored or lose its durability.
Cleaning your ring isn’t just about saving its sparkle. With a clean ring, you will be able to inspect it for chips and loose settings more regularly. It is important to find these imperfections and bring it to your jeweler to fix before it’s too late. We recommend cleaning your diamond ring on a weekly basis to ensure its brightest sparkle and clearest clarity.
Take care of your diamond ring by preventing it from getting dirty (or ever lost!) in the first place. Here are some Do’s and Don’ts on caring for your diamond ring:
- Do keep your ring clean. We cannot stress this enough.
- Avoid touching the center stone. Diamonds and other precious gemstones attract dust, dirt and oils that are hard to remove. When removing your ring, hold the band only.
- Don’t bang it up. Knocking your ring around mindlessly can lead to chipping the stone and scratching the band. Be mindful not to damage your precious accessory.
- Do always leave your ring in the same place. Even if it’s just in the safety your house, losing your ring is just way too easy (and stressful!) Here’s a helpful tip- keep ring dishes around your house so that you always know exactly where you put it!
- Insure your ring- ASAP. Lost, stolen or damaged rings are heart-breaking. Save yourself some tears and money by registering for ring insurance right away. It’s always better to be safe than sorry.
From the moment you say “Yes!” you are committing to a lifetime of responsibilities, and the new shiny rock on your left hand is just one of them. So, are you ready?